Friday, April 26, 2013

Status update - guqin has been purchased by my Taobao agent on my behalf

After logging into the Singapore-based Taobao agent's website, it seems that they have successfully purchased the guqin that I asked them to buy on my behalf (purchased officially on Thursday 25 April 2013). That's good. It really made my day!



I had to use a Taobao agent because Taobao.com only accepts credit cards registered with PRC-based addresses. Yes, of course there is some element of risk in purchasing guqin over the Internet. A good and trustworthy Taobao agent with presence in both China and Singapore (or wherever your home destination is) is imperative. I'd post updates to this blog about the guqin's shipment status from China to Singapore.

I sincerely wish all the best to the Sichuan guqin maker Zhang Yong (maker of this guqin I purchased) and the people who were affected by the Sichuan earthquakes. The news reported that there was another 4.8 magnitude earthquake in Sichuan yesterday, this time in Yibin.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of the guqin (provided by the seller on Taobao) that I ordered online. Of course, I'd change its (presumably) metal-nylon strings to silk strings if / when it arrives safe and sound in Singapore in my grubby little hands. hahaha. I purchased this guqin because I wish my daughter and I can play guqin together, instead of us taking turns to play on the same guqin. Right now, I only have one guqin. hahaha LOL





9 comments:

  1. I am happy for you! Is this Guqin made by Zhang yong personally? How much is the shipping and how long will it take to reach singapore approximately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your question. I have no idea if Zhang Yong has other people making guqins for him like Wang Peng does. hahaha. I simply assumed that it's made by Zhang Yong himself. haha. LOL. As for how much the shipping costs, SgShop would inform me when the guqin reaches Shenzhen. Their sea freight rates are displayed on their website's homepage. As for how long, I really have no idea. Generally, it may take a couple of weeks by sea freight from Shenzhen to Singapore, so may be 3 or 4 weeks before the guqin reaches Singapore. I really have no idea. I'm just guessing. I'd just have to trust the logistics professionals. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply.Wow! It has to go through Shenzhen again then to Singapore! I am thinking of getting from Wang peng personally at his place, but think, is it worth while with the air ticket,acomodation,transport fees.Having taking into consideration that i got to wait for so long for sea freight, going through so many parties,i am begining to hesitate ordering online.However,shall wait for your post on your newly acquired qin! ^^ By the way, can i have the link where you purchased the qin this time? Thanks! --June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your question, June. I bought my guqin from this Taobao shop http://songshiguqin.taobao.com

    JunTianFang also has a TaoBao shop at http://juntianfang.taobao.com Even Microsoft has a TaoBao shop where you can order the latest Surface Pro which has not been launched in Singapore yet. haha http://microsoftstore.tmall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. June, you can also contact Mr. John Thompson and ask him to help you to select and buy a qin. He travels to China frequently. You can contact him by visiting SilkQin.com Last year in 2012, Mr Thompson helped me to select and pay for a JunTianFang guqin in Beijing, and JunTianFang sea-freighted it to Mr Thompson's home in Singapore. I then collected the JunTianFang guqin from his Orchard Road home. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. June, actually Mr John Thompson has two very high quality guqins for sale, which he carried back from Hong Kong. I played them before. They felt even better than WP qins, as they seemed very loud and crystal clear with silk strings. Curated and selected by Dr Tong Kin Woon. You can try them out in Mr. Thompson's home in Orchard Road. No pressure to buy. He loves making new friends. You can contact Mr. Thompson at www.silkqin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shawn! Thanks for so much info. :-) by the way, there is a Guqin exhibition in KL next month by Da lv guqin society. I will be going down to take a look.They promote qin from a Yangzhou maker, Ma wei heng. Do take a look if you have time to travel there between 19 May-2June :-) they will display ancient Guqin too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the info about the guqin exhibition in KL! I don't think I can make it to KL on those dates. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Keep in touch :-)

    ReplyDelete